Welcome!

Why hello there and welcome to my Geography blog. I'm an A-level student from Somerset studying Environmental Science, Geography and Archaeology. I should probably explain how this blog has come about. During my first lesson of the new year my teacher exclaimed that I should start a “What I learnt this week…” blog. I thought this would actually be a good idea to help for revision and “consolidate my learning” which is what the teachers always tell me to do and it might (hopefully) help other people doing geography as well. So this is my geography blog.

There are two of us!

So i am a geography geek and got added so i can blog too. what can i say, i love it absolutely love it! i'm not really that clever (that's a lie she is!) but it doesnt stop a love i have for the subject, i also study environmental science and geology.

My portrait photo should reflect what topic I'm studying at the time. If I remember to change it... If you have any questions or want to talk to us about anything Earth Sciences related please don't hesitate to ask!

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Unit 4B


I’m not actually doing the unit 4B re-sit but I thought it’d be helpful if I went through some of it. I’ve picked something that everyone should have looked into; if you haven’t then I’ve done it for you.

What does the Department for International Development do for Bangladesh?


Well according to their website the aims are to:
  • Encourage private sector investment
  • Ensuring the government is capable of financing and delivering social services
  • Getting more children into better schools            
  • Improving family planning and reducing maternal deaths

These aims can be interpreted as showing that the DfID want to improve equality throughout the country to create a more stable nation. Improving equality has many positive impacts; the biggest being that it empowers women thus giving them a voice. The increased choices in life women get once empowered can lead to a reduced birth rate, which reduces the dependency ratio and creates a more manageable population. This can be seen to be working as from 2008 to 2011 the birth rate has dropped by 6 from 29 to 23 (CIA world factbook). A more manageable population is useful when trying to deal with the preparation and aftermath of a cyclone.

The DfID are also investing a lot of money into education. 25% of the £148.8 million spent in Bangladesh in 2009-2010 was spent on education. That’s £37.2 million; the amount of money spent can be linked to the development module and to South Korea who also improved education to encourage high-tech TNCs into the country. TNCs have both positive and negative (as you should have written in the exam on Tuesday!) impacts and these will also apply if TNCs move into Bangladesh.

The general aim is to create a stable developed country that can look after itself without having to rely on aid from other nations.

There are also some useful links from the website that you should probably at:



Because I haven't been to the Unit 4B workshops I don't know what you have or haven't done, if this has been helpful then let me know and I'll do more of things like this. If it hasn't, let me know what would be helpful and I'll see if I can get round to doing it.