Welcome!

Why hello there and welcome to my Geography blog. I'm an A-level student from Somerset studying Environmental Science, Geography and Archaeology. I should probably explain how this blog has come about. During my first lesson of the new year my teacher exclaimed that I should start a “What I learnt this week…” blog. I thought this would actually be a good idea to help for revision and “consolidate my learning” which is what the teachers always tell me to do and it might (hopefully) help other people doing geography as well. So this is my geography blog.

There are two of us!

So i am a geography geek and got added so i can blog too. what can i say, i love it absolutely love it! i'm not really that clever (that's a lie she is!) but it doesnt stop a love i have for the subject, i also study environmental science and geology.

My portrait photo should reflect what topic I'm studying at the time. If I remember to change it... If you have any questions or want to talk to us about anything Earth Sciences related please don't hesitate to ask!

Friday 28 January 2011

The Gasworks


So 4b isn’t just about the information found within the AIB it is also about doing bits of research yourself and furthering your own knowledge so here is some information and history on the Gasworks.

This area was originally set up as a gas works (believe it or not!) in the 19th century and is a 12 hectare area of space. The site cesaed to be used as such in 1965 and was later bought by the council in the 1990’s. At first the area was named unfit for public use as it was contaminated but the EU funded the regeneration of the area and a business park was established.  In the past 3 years the project has moved quickly and resulted in other buisnesses coming to the area such as a halifax call centre (employing 2000 people, multiplyer effect here they come) and a 130 roomed hotel! In addition cycle paths and open green spaces have been created for recreational purposes. Smaller businesses have slowly started setting up in the area alongside that a social housing scheme has commenced aimed specifically at the chinese community.
     Old parts of the gasworks are maintained as major features within the area and i believe this is the key to the way forwards in Belfast: to include the past and everything that has come with it from buildings to some of the less offensive murals and make it a part of the future as you can’t simply start to eradicate everything that has torn a community apart for decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment